“Your teacher is applying for a summer travel grant for you and your classmates to experience the wonders of Iceland! The application deadline is this afternoon so you only have one class period to prove to the grant selection committee that her students are among the best and brightest in the world when it comes to knowledge about
biomes. They’ve devised a series of clues to test your knowledge and demonstrate your abilities.”
Immerse your students in a fun, engaging, learning experience with the Biomes Science Escape Room! We have created a unique experience that will leave a lasting, positive impression on your students.
- TEKS: 7.10 A – Observe and describe how different environments, including micro habitats in schoolyards and biomes, support different varieties of organisms
- NGSS: MS-LS2-2. Construct an explanation that predicts patterns of interactions among organisms across multiple ecosystems
- NGSS MS-LS2-5. Evaluate competing design solutions for maintaining biodiversity and ecosystem services
- NGSS MS-LS2-1. Analyze and interpret data to provide evidence for the effects of resource availability on organisms and populations of organisms in an ecosystem
How it works:
- Break up the class into teams of 2-4 students
- Play the challenge video provided
- After deciding how many puzzles to use, give each group a separate manila envelope. Using manila envelopes is the least expensive option. You can also use locks and boxes. Locks are not required to run this escape room, but it can provide a more authentic experience. A lockout hasp will save you from needing to buy multiple boxes per group.
- The remaining puzzles stay in a different area where students can check them in and out
- Start the timer!
- The teacher will check their codes by the students writing them down on the provided answer sheet, or use the digital lock using Google Forms. More details on how to use this electronically are provided in your purchase.
- Once the students have solved the puzzles, they will open the last envelope containing their prize!
1. The least expensive option is to use manila envelopes for the puzzles. All the directions are provided. Each group will also need:
- All printed materials from the puzzles chosen (included)
2. For a more authentic escape room, each group will also need the following, instead of manila envelopes:
Included in your purchase:
- Teacher directions
- Editable templates for the teacher to modify
- Detailed answer key for each puzzle
- Student answer key
- Digital answer key (Google Form) that is great for 1:1 or Google Classrooms. Replaces paper answer key if you choose, but not necessary
- Video challenge to set the mood for the challenge
- 8 unique puzzles with all printable props
- A list of over 50 ideas for prizes
- Reward templates
- 30 unique signs to hold up for the picture at the end (plus, editable template)
You can purchase the Biomes Escape Room here.
A completed bundle of 37 different escape rooms, covering a wide range of standards and concepts is also available. You can purchase the bundle at a 30% discount here, and receive access to each escape room product!
Teachers are sharing their ideas and experiences using hashtags #keslerscience and #scienceescape on Twitter and Instagram, and on the Kesler Science Professional Learning Network on Facebook. See you there!