“You’ve been kidnapped and taken to the lair of the evil scientist, Dr. Wackadoodle. He will only let you leave if you can answer a series of puzzles about the Periodic Table. Your freedom depends on it. The countdown begins now!”
Immerse your students in a fun, engaging, learning experience with the Periodic Table Science Escape Room! We have created a unique experience that will leave a lasting, positive impression on your students.
- 8.5 A – Describe the structure of atoms, including the masses, electrical charges, and locations, of protons and neutrons in the nucleus and electrons in the electron cloud
- MS PS1-1 -Develop models to describe the atomic composition of simple molecules and extended structures
- HS PS1-1 – Use the periodic table as a model to predict the relative properties of elements based on the patterns of electrons in the outermost energy level of atoms
How it works:
- Break up the class into teams of 2-4 students
- Play the challenge video provided
- After deciding how many puzzles to use, give each group a separate manila envelope. Using manila envelopes is the least expensive option. You can also use locks and boxes. Locks are not required to run this escape room, but it can provide a more authentic experience. A lockout hasp will save you from needing to buy multiple boxes per group.
- The remaining puzzles stay in a different area where students can check them in and out
- Start the timer!
- The teacher will check their codes by the students writing them down on the provided answer sheet, or use the digital lock using Google Forms. More details on how to use this electronically are provided in your purchase.
- Once the students have solved the puzzles, they will open the last envelope containing their prize!
1. The least expensive option is to use manila envelopes for the puzzles. All the directions are provided. Each group will also need:
- All printed materials from the puzzles chosen
- Manila envelopes (used for each of the puzzles)
- Student copy of Periodic Table – depending on the group of students, teacher may decide to provide one with only symbols if the students need more of a challenge OR one that has both the symbols and element names
- Optional – Scrabble tiles
2. For a more authentic escape room, each group will also need the following:
Included in your purchase:
- Teacher directions
- Editable templates for the teacher to modify
- Detailed answer key for each puzzle
- Student answer key
- Digital answer key (Google Form) that is great for 1:1 or Google Classrooms. Replaces paper answer key if you choose, but not necessary
- Video challenge to set the mood for the challenge
- 8 unique puzzles with all printable props
- A list of over 50 ideas for prizes
- Reward templates
- 30 unique signs to hold up for the picture at the end (plus, editable template)
A completed bundle of 37 different escape rooms, covering a wide range of standards and concepts is also available. You can purchase the bundle at a 30% discount here, and receive access to each escape room product!
Teachers are sharing their ideas and experiences using hashtags #keslerscience and #scienceescape on Twitter and Instagram, and on the Kesler Science Professional Learning Network on Facebook. See you there!