“You and your best friend are competitive when it comes to sports and games. You’ve decided to have another friendly competition, but this time you will see who knows more about potential and kinetic energy. The clues have been assembled and the clock is set. Who will be the ultimate winner?”
Immerse your students in a fun, engaging, learning experience with the Potential and Kinetic Science Escape Room! We have created a unique experience that will leave a lasting, positive impression on your students.
- 6.8 A– Compare and contrast potential and kinetic energy
- MS PS3-1– Construct and interpret graphical displays of data to describe the relationships of kinetic energy to the mass of an object and to the speed of an object.
- MS PS3-2– Develop a model to describe that when the arrangement of objects interacting at a distance changes, different amounts of potential energy are stored in the system.
- MS PS3-5– Construct, use, and present arguments to support the claim that when the kinetic energy of an object changes, energy is transferred to or from the object.
How it works:
- Break up the class into teams of 2-4 students
- Play the challenge video provided
- After deciding how many puzzles to use, give each group a separate manila envelope. Using manila envelopes is the least expensive option. You can also use locks and boxes. Locks are not required to run this escape room, but it can provide a more authentic experience. A lockout hasp will save you from needing to buy multiple boxes per group.
- The remaining puzzles stay in a different area where students can check them in and out
- Start the timer!
- The teacher will check their codes by the students writing them down on the provided answer sheet, or use the digital lock using Google Forms. More details on how to use this electronically are provided in your purchase.
- Once the students have solved the puzzles, they will open the last envelope containing their prize!
1. The least expensive option is to use manila envelopes for the puzzles. All the directions are provided. Each group will also need:
- All printed materials from the puzzles chosen
- Manila envelopes (used for each of the puzzles)
2. For a more authentic escape room, each group will also need the following:
Included in your purchase:
- Teacher directions
- Editable templates for the teacher to modify
- Detailed answer key for each puzzle
- Student answer key
- Digital answer key (Google Form) that is great for 1:1 or Google Classrooms. Replaces paper answer key if you choose, but not necessary
- Video challenge to set the mood for the challenge
- 8 unique puzzles with all printable props
- A list of over 50 ideas for prizes
- Reward templates
- 30 unique signs to hold up for the picture at the end (plus, editable template)
A completed bundle of 37 different escape rooms, covering a wide range of standards and concepts is also available. You can purchase the bundle at a 30% discount here, and receive access to each escape room product! The Kesler Science Amazon page shows you all of the recommended escape room supplies if you are going to be running multiple escape rooms throughout the year.
Teachers are sharing their ideas and experiences using hashtags #keslerscience and #scienceescape on Twitter and Instagram, and on the Kesler Science Professional Learning Network on Facebook. See you there!