“You have been super busy lately and haven’t focused as much on your academic studies. Your parents are concerned that you are not reaching your full potential. You have a big test coming up in your science class about the properties of waves. Your parents will not let you go out with your friends tonight unless you can demonstrate your knowledge by decoding all of the clues. Time to step up to the plate and show what you know so you can escape the room! Your friends are counting on you.”
Immerse your students in a fun, engaging, learning experience with the Properties of Waves Escape Room! We have created a unique experience that will leave a lasting, positive impression on your students.
- NGSS: MS PS4-1– Use mathematical representations to describe a simple model for waves that includes how the amplitude of a wave is related to the energy in a wave.
- NGSS MS PS4-2– Develop models to describe that waves are reflected, absorbed, or transmitted through various materials.
Students will need to be able to identify the properties of a wave in order to be successful in demonstrating their understanding using this escape room. They will also need to know the following vocabulary words before playing the game: transparent, translucent, opaque, transverse, and longitudinal, light waves, sound waves.
How it works:
- Break up the class into teams of 2-4 students
- Play the challenge video provided
- After deciding how many puzzles to use, give each group a separate manila envelope. Using manilla envelopes is the least expensive option. You can also use locks and boxes. Locks are not required to run this escape room, but it can provide a more authentic experience. A lockout hasp will save you from needing to buy multiple boxes per group.
- The remaining puzzles stay in a different area where students can check them in and out
- Start the timer!
- The teacher will check their codes by the students writing them down on the provided answer sheet, or use the digital lock using Google Forms. More details on how to use this electronically are provided.
- Once the students have solved the puzzles, they will open the last envelope containing their prize!
1. The least expensive option is to use manila envelopes for the puzzles. All the directions are provided. You will also need:
- All printed materials (included)
2. For a more authentic escape room, you will also need the following, instead of manila envelopes:
- One Lockout Hasp
- Three, 4-digit locks
- One, 3-digit lock
- One storage box that includes a place for the lockout hasp
Included in your purchase:
- Teacher directions
- Editable templates for the teacher to modify
- Detailed answer key for each puzzle
- Student answer key
- Digital answer key (Google Form) that is great for 1:1 or Google Classrooms. Replaces paper answer key if you choose, but not necessary
- Video challenge to set the mood for the challenge
- 8 unique puzzles with all printable props
- A list of over 50 ideas for prizes
- Reward templates
- 30 unique signs to hold up for the picture at the end (plus, editable template)
More science escape room products are being released. A completed bundle of 36 different escape rooms, covering a wide range of standards and concepts will be finished by August 2018. You can purchase the bundle at a 30% discount, and receive access to each escape room product as it is released!
Teachers are sharing their ideas and experiences using hashtags #keslerscience and #scienceescape on Twitter and Instagram, and on the Kesler Science Professional Learning Network on Facebook. See you there!